Sunday, November 18, 2012

Emery Elise Jacobs (WMC) Ch 4

         After I stopped staring at the guy I realized that it was the same guy from breakfast. He still looked as yummy as he did this morning.  The steak almost forgotten about that I was eating. Until I remembered that he also saw me naked.

“Hey Sophie, how’s it going?” he said when he reached the kitchen table.
          “I’m doing well, Mr. Javier. How are you fairing after all the events of today?” Sophie asked him while trying not to look my way.
          Way to throw me under the bus there Soph, way to throw me under the bus, I thought to myself. I’m grateful that he declined to answer, after noticing the appalled look I had on my face. And que the awkward silence. It was silent there for a minute before someone spoke.
          “Emery, this is Javier. Javier, this is my daughter Emery.” William said as he introduced us, breaking the growing tension in the room.
          “Hmmmurph,” I said trying to chew my food. I kept my eyes on my plate; I didn’t want him to notice that I was blushing. Well blushing as much as I could with my caramel complexion.
          William laughed at me, “That might have come out better if you actually chewed your food first, Em.” I could tell that he was trying to help ease my obvious misfortune.
          I swallowed what I could without chewing the rest before I spoke. “Sorry didn’t mean to do that. Umm…Hi.”
          “It’s ok, you’ll find me stuffing my face here all the time.” Javier said while smiling in my direction. “I am sorry to interrupt your meal Alpha, but can I speak to you in your office?” Javier didn’t wait around for William to answer; he simply turned and walked out of the kitchen.
          “What a nice ass,” Drea said while watching Javier’s retreating form. “Not going there Drea, so not going there.” It was one thing to think it myself, but to have a wolf think the same thing, aye Chihuahua.  Any more random thoughts like this and I seriously had to find a way to shut this girl up.
          “Em, I’ll see you in a few, come to my office when you’re done,” William said as he got up from the table.
          I continued eating while William left the kitchen. As I ate I thought about what happened today. This morning I woke up thinking I was going to die, only to find out that I was actually turning into a wolf. Not just metaphorically but a real freaking wolf. And big one at that by the reactions of everyone that saw me. Speaking of earlier today where the hell was Jessica through all of this? When I get my hands on that girl, grr, did I just growl? I hurried and finished eating before I changed again. I mean one set of Golden Girls clothing was enough for today. When I finished I gathered William’s plate and mine and took them over to the sink. Before I could turn the water on Sophie was there.
          “Let me take care of that for you Ms. Emery,” Sophie asked reaching for the plates in my hand.
“I got it. Thanks for the offer.” I reached to turn on the water, and then leaned over to grab the soap. When I leaned back, Sophie was still standing beside me. I looked over my shoulder at her and she looked like she was going to shit herself. No need to make her have a conniption.  I grabbed the dish towel and wiped my hands. “You know what, William asked me to come find him. Thank you for the food, Sophie.” I said to Sophie, who looked relieved that I decided not to wash the dishes.
          Half way into the hallway, I heard the water running. I couldn’t help but laugh. I continued walking when I realized that I didn’t know where William’s office was. I could have turned back to ask Sophie, but I didn’t want to give her a heart attack.
          “Use your nose dumbass,” Drea said to me. Here we go again. I shook my head at Drea’s antics. If I thought it was possible I would buy a muzzle for her. Now if I could only figure out how to use this thing on the end of my face. I turned my nose up in the air and did my best to think like a dog. Be one with the dog, I thought; be one with the dog. Unfortunately it didn’t work. I eventually heard talking and turned that direction.
          “Come in Emery,” William said when I stopped at the door.
          “How did you know it was me?” I asked as I opened the door to his office. William sat behind a cherry oak deck that was stacked high with paperwork. I glanced around his decent sized office. One wall was covered in built in book shelves, with one shelf that sat empty. Why would he have an empty shelf?
“I smelled you,” William replied as if it was the easiest thing in the world. “Have a seat Emery.” William said as he pointed to the couch that was opposite of the bookshelves. “As I was saying Javier, before Emery came in, I will need you to show her around until she gets settled.” William looked between Javier and Emery before smiling and adding, “Say hello to your new best friend for the next few weeks Em.”
          My head snapped up and I looked at Javier face, then William, and back to Javier’s, which looked as shocked as I felt.
          “What?”
          “Come again.”
          We both said at the same time. I mean I have a best friend, I didn’t know where that bitch was, but I knew for damn sure I didn’t need another one.
          “What do you mean for the next few weeks?” I said as I stood up from where I was sitting. “I’m going home. I didn’t die so I’m leaving. Thank you for everything William. It was nice to meet you Javier. I’m out.” I couldn’t believe William had the audacity to say that I was going to stay here. I had a life that I needed to get back to and I was going to tell him exactly that, but he spoke just before I could.
          “Calm down Emery, no need to get upset. I don’t need you changing in my office. As expected, I knew you would be upset about this, but you can’t leave. I’ve already called your mother and she and Jessica have taken care of all your personal matters.” William looked back to Javier, who was sitting there looking between us like he was at a tennis match. “Javier, would you please show Emery to her cabin, the training center, and couple of the other things on the acreage.” It sounded like a question, but there was not mistaken it for the order it was. “Alright, you can leave now; I have business to attend to.” With that William turned to face his Mac easily dismissing us as though we were nothing more than the dust on his shoulder.
          “I’ve never been dismissed like that in my life,” I said to no one in particular as I walked out of the office. I turned to see if Javier was following me, but I didn’t see him. When I made it to the hallway Javier was already there. “What’s up with you people moving so fast?”
          “What do you mean?”
          “Its just…never mind you won’t get it.”
          Javier looked at me like I was crazy and turned to lead me out of the house. Once we cleared the kitchen door, he continued towards the woods. Night had started to fall since I had been inside.
          “Whoa there amigo, wait a minute. Where are you taking me? I don’t know you like that. You could be trying to go all Hills Have Eyes on me. Isn’t there a flashlight or something we could use?”
          “What do you need a flashlight for?”
          “I can’t see shit past my fingers, and you’re trying to lead me into a forest with no light. Do I need to remind you that I’ve only been a changer for,” I glance down at my non existing watch having arm and said, “Oh I don’t know maybe five hours or so.”
          “Don’t worry you’ll be ok. Just try adjusting your eyes and use your nose.” Javier said as he turned towards the woods. “Oh and by the way, don’t worry I won’t try to kill you…yet,” he said chuckling as he continued to walk into the woods.
          I stood there and watched he retreating form, staring at his ass. I didn’t know whether to take that as a warning or him joking. I decided to go with the later. Ok Drea it’s up to you, I thought, I have no idea what to do. And before you totally lose all sense I believe you have, don’t try and get fresh with Javier. Drea didn’t say anything, but I had a feeling that I would hear from her later.
          When Drea took over I felt my eyesight change. I could see past my fingers thankfully. There was a slight tingly feeling behind my eyes, like I had been staring at a computer to way to long. First everything I looked at went black and white, before I saw the dark hues and bright greens trees and bushes in front of me. The woods seemed to come alive as I walked after Javier. The hoot of an owl, the scampering of mice running from said owls. I could hear him ahead of me, but just barely. He moved like a cat, just not as quiet as one. I picked up speed trying to catch up to him, but I kept tripping over the roots of the trees.
Smack, dammit, I ran into a low branch. “Drea, damn you, stop fucking playing around.” I heard her giggle in my mind. After what seemed like for-freaking-ever we came to a clearing. In the middle of the clearing was a dirt road that continued into a small cull de sac of cabins. Each cabin had a lantern hanging from the door similar to a porch light. It was a nice quaint area. It just happened to be in the middle of nowhere.
          “Where are we?” I asked Javier as we crossed the dirt road.
          “This is where most of the older changers and humans stay. They like to be close together. There are around eight cabins here. The rest are spread out through the woods” Javier explained as he continued walking past the homely looking cabins. “Where you will be staying is a little move private.”
          I looked back toward the cabins that we passed. I could feel the warmth radiating from them. It was like they were in their own little world, out here in the middle of the BFE. And they were, in their own world that is, I was the outsider making noise, and bringing in the outside world. We continued to walk for another ten minutes.
          “Here we are,” Javier said when he stopped in front of what was about to be my hell away from home.
          I took two steps and tripped. “Watch it there dipshit.” Drea said out loud.
          “Excuse me, what did you say?” Javier said from the top of the steps.
          “That was Drea. Sorry she’s being a bitch. She thinks that she’s in charge.” I said as I tried to push Drea back down and I could take over. And let me tell you, that wasn’t an easy task.
          “Drea?” Javier said as he looked around behind me trying to see if anyone was there. “I don’t think that we have anyone by that name here.”
          “Oh no, Drea’s my wolf.”
          “Your wolf has a name?”
          “Yeah, doesn’t yours?”
          “Yeah, but he wasn’t named until the Naming Ceremony.”
          “Naming Ceremony?” I asked, “William said something about that but I didn’t get a chance to ask him to explain. What is it?”
          “Before I answer that, let me ask you this; what do you know about your wolf and the Clan?” Javier asked once I reached the top step.
          “Oh let’s say…nothing. This morning I woke up thinking I was going to die, not turn into an animal. So my knowledge of your world is nil. Now how about you open that door; I’m getting bit by mosquitoes.”
          Javier looked like he wanted to say something, but decided against it. Good boy, I thought. I wasn’t in the mood to deal with his questions and looking at me like I was an idiot. For some reason after we passed the cull de sac of cabins, I started growing increasingly agitated by his presence.
          I stepped around him when I heard the lock open. When I entered the cabin the lights automatically came on. “Automatic lights,” I asked to the person standing behind me.
          “Yes, so no one can sneak up on you while you’re sleeping. You can always change the settings on the panel in the…” He trailed off as he walked around the two room cabin. It was a pretty decent size for one person. At least there was furniture already in it. “Ah, here it is. Your panel is in your closet.”
          “The closet? Why not in the kitchen?”
          “The panels are moved in around in each cabin so no one can break in. Plus its password protected. Each one comes with a basic code and you can change that too.”
          “Thank you for showing me the cabin. Where’s the next one? Eight miles from here?” I said trying to lighten the mood, because I suddenly realized that I was alone, almost a mile away from William, and here stood a sexy ass --. I sniffed the air… puma, no wait… panther?
          “You’re a panther?” I asked as I sniffed the air a second time. Finally my nose decided to work. “I thought only wolves were a part of the…wait now I smell a cheetah. Ok, how can you smell like two animals at once?”
          “You’re just now picking up on that? Your wolf’s slow; most new wolves can’t stand to be around me.” Javier said walking out of the bedroom.
          Drea growled. “I am not slow, you are just not that important to me,” she subvocalized. “Whoa there woman, calm down I’m sure he didn’t mean it.” I said quickly to her. I wasn’t trying to break this cabin. I might have to stay her a while but I didn’t want to cause any more problems. There were plenty of over times for that; just not tonight.
          Javier head snapped back towards me. He turned his head sideways as if trying to figure out if he heard correctly. “How did you just do that? Most people take years to do that, and do it to where my cat can understand it.”
          “I have no idea what you’re talking about. Drea did that.” I was getting tired of not being on my own head, alone. Sooner or later Drea was going to say something and I wouldn’t be able to cover up with an, “Oopsie, my wolf did it.” I couldn’t wait until I had this shit under control.

1 comment:

  1. Be one with the dog!
    AWESOME!
    hmmmm, lets see what else Javier has to show her...sexy sleek cat *shivers*

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome. If it sucks please let me know, tell me why, if it doesn't, let me know too :)