Friday, November 9, 2012

Emery Elise Jacobs (WMC) Ch 2


Needless to say, my birthday didn’t go so well. After the brief interlude that was my father, my day was hell. I didn’t wait around for my mother to answer my questions. I walked off as soon as she opened her mouth. I sat in my room, turned on my movie, and cried myself to sleep. I cried mostly because my favorite movie just might be my reality.
Two days passed by and I wasn’t even close to a decision. I just couldn’t get passed up-rooting my life just to appease a father that I’ve known for all of 40 minutes. I still didn’t understand what my “parents” called shape changing. The only thing I experience after the growth spurt was increased irritability. I never realized how many idiots were in the world. My tolerance for nonsense coming out of people’s mouth is close to nil.
“Em, where are you? I haven’t heard from you since the day before your birthday. You never let me know how it went.... Em, I know you’re here. Your cars parked out front.... Emmy,” Jessica said as she walked through my house.
I didn’t want to answer her. I wanted to be alone for as long as I could. If today was my last day left to live or whatever, and I wanted to spend it alone. “Go away!”
 “Now you know I’m not going anywhere. Get your lazy ass up, before I come in there and jump on your bed.” She said at my door.
Leave it up to the bestie to know how to get me out of some serious self-pity. The most I did in the past two days was the basic hygiene regimen. Oh and go get something to eat.  
“What do you want? I’m not in the mood for company.” I knew if I got up and walked to the door and hit it really hard, I’d hurt her nose. She’s been putting her nose into things literally since we were kids.
“Nope, that’s not going to happen. Emmy come on open up. I want to hear about your birthday. I know it was awesome, since you haven’t talked to me in days.” She started whining like a 5 y/o.
I got out of bed and walked over to the door. I had to fight the urge to smack it. “What do you want?” I asked when I opened the door.
“Emmy is that you? OMG you smell like 3 day old trash, and you look like shit.” She said while holding her nose; trying not to breath.
“Thanks for your vote of confidence. You sure know how to make a girl feel great.” I walked back to my bed and got under the covers. “I told you to leave me alone, if you don’t want to smell me then leave.”
           “Tisk tisk tisk, not getting rid of me that easily. Come on get up and take a shower. We’re going out to lunch. I already have reservations. Get up or we’re going to be late.” She pulled the covers off of me. “And while you’re in there I’ll just put these in the washer.”
                   “I’m not going anywhere, put my covers back. Just go get what I would order and bring it back. I’ll get up then.”
          She threw the cover on the floor and left. Finally, someone who would listen to me. I placed a pillow over my head to go back to sleep.
          “What the fuck?” I felt the bucket of cold water she splashed on my bed.
          “I said get up Emmy. I don’t want to be late and I need you to get up and shower. You have no excuse now. I’ll be in the kitchen when you’re done getting dressed.” She left without another word.
          Fuck I didn’t want to get dressed. I didn’t want to leave the house, and I damn sure didn’t want to move. I wanted my last day to be by myself. I didn’t want to be out in public and die, but I knew that Jessica wouldn’t leave the house until she got her way.
          Thirty minutes later I walked into the kitchen with my hair still wet. Maybe if she sees that my hair’s not done then we won’t go.
          When she looked up, she sighed and tossed me a towel. “Not going to work Emery. Dry your hair and let’s go. You can wear it curly,” she grabbed her car keys off the counter and headed outside.
          I got in on the passenger side. I barely had enough time to close the door before she pulled out of the drive way.  I wanted to go back into the house, in 5 hours or so my day would be up. I wanted to at least tell my mom I love her, and to die in peace.
          We drove for an hour outside of town and ended up at this log cabin. There were a few cars in the parking lot. It looked like it was some bed and breakfast. I’ve never been to one before but I didn’t think she needed to reservations to a b&b.
          “Where are we? I’ve never seen this place before.”
          “Oh, just some place I found on the internet, lets go.” She hopped out the car all excited. I wasn’t going to jump out like that but I did follow.
          The inside of the cabin looked like a normal house. There was a fire place going and a couple of chairs seated around it. On the floor was a shaggy carpet that looked like it was from the 70’s, it was seriously out of place compared to the natural decor. I followed Jessica into the dining area.
There was one long table in the center of the room. Against the far wall there was a waiter’s buff, and beside it stood a woman who looked like a maid. She had on the classic French maid outfit. Not the sexy one you’d find stripper in, the old one from to early 1900’s.
There was a couple who sat down at the end of the table, where the server was, next to the big bay window. They looked up as we entered, and the woman shot me an angry glance. She looked at me like I just ruined her life and pissed in her Cheerios. Then she dismissed us as they continued their conversation.
          We sat down at the other end to give the couple some privacy. Plus I didn’t want to start something with someone I didn’t know.
When we took our seats, the server walked over and introduced herself.
          “Good afternoon, my name is Sophie. May I get you something to drink?”
          I looked down at the menu and noticed it was one sided. Where the hell did this girl take me? “Um, do you have mimosas? If not I’ll take regular orange juice.” Jessica ordered water and soup and sandwich. I went with the pancake platter.
          The server actually brought me both. The o.j. was fresh squeezed and the mimosa was chilled perfectly. Jessica and I sat in silence eating our brunch.
          “What the hell did you do Mercy? I can’t believe you would do something so ill-informed like that. It’s over; I can’t be with someone who would do something like that to a person they never met. You are a lot of things Mercy, but I didn’t think you could be so ignorant.” The guy at the end of the table said while getting up to leave.
“Javier please wait, let me explain. Wait, don’t leave me!” the girl said running after him. As she passed by us she stopped, looked at me, and then continued after her boyfriend.
          “Well that’s got to be embarrassing. And why does she keep looking at me like I wrecked her tricycle?” I said to Jessica while we were finishing up.
          “I have no idea Emmy. Are you done? Let’s go for a walk.” Jessica paid the server for our meal and we headed outside.
We walked out the front door and the view was breath taking. I had to admit it was beautiful out here. I could see the mountain ridge behind the tree line. It was late in the afternoon and the ridge was gorgeous. The sun was starting to set and the colors playing against the sky were making my eyes water. If I wasn’t expecting my impending doom I would actually try to enjoy my time here with Jessica. I was still wondering why she brought me out here.
“Jessica, just tell me why you brought me out here, we could have went to Ihop for breakfast.” I said as I turned around, but she wasn’t there. I didn’t hear her leave. Where was she, she had me looking like a crazy lady standing out here talking to myself.
“I’m sorry to inform you dear but your friend has left,” Sophie said to me.
“Left me??” I had a few hours at the most to live and she left me. I looked around the parking lot and the server was telling the truth, Jessica had left me at the cabin to die. “I’m going to kill her! Kill her dead I promise I’m going to kill her. I can’t believe that cow left me.” I was getting so angry. Angry like the day I had met my father only this was worse. It felt like I was burning from the inside out. My vision was blurring, and my ears were popping. I felt something roll down my face and realized I was crying. No one wants to die, let alone die next to a server name Sophie.
“Ma’am please calm down, it’s going to be alright. I’m sure we can go inside and you can call her.” Sophie said while walking backwards with her hands up.
I went to walk towards the cabin but I couldn’t feel me feet. I fell flat on my face. How embarrassing. That’s what I get for talking about that girl now I’m eating dirt pie. Could my last day get any worse?  I placed my hands on the ground to pick myself up when a bolt hit me. I heard someone scream like they were getting tortured. I wanted them to shut up so I could concentrate on the fire that was running through my body. The screaming continued when I realized it was me. I was the one screaming bloody murder. I wasn’t supposed to die for a few more hours. If William lied to me, I’m going to come back and haunt his ass.
“Oh, no you don’t young lady; you aren’t going to change in front of me. I refuse to help bring you over without any help.” She left me in the parking lot and ran.
So here I was in a parking lot an hour away from my house dying. Could this day get any worse? Nope not going to say that, last time I did, I was stranded at a B&B. I went to curl myself into a ball when I heard a bone snap. My femur collapsed in on itself. I opened my mouth to scream and a howl came out. A howl, what the fuck is happening, I’m not a wolf.
“Here she is Alpha, her friend just left her and I don’t even know her name.” The server was back and she had company. I wonder if she also brought popcorn to watch me die.
“Emery, Emery where’s Jessica?” I heard a voice that sounded like William say to me. I tried to answer him but nothing came out. Snap. Another bone snapped out of place, I howled in pain.  “Shit, I can’t move her. I have to wait. Emery why didn’t you call me before now? This could have gone better.” William was pissed, I’d cuss him out and tell him where to stick it, but my body was in the middle of reshaping itself.
Another gut wrenching howl bubbled up out of my throat. If I didn’t die after this, I was going to have hellova sore throat. My body continued changing snap, snap, snap, as people gathered around. I could hear the murmurs of the group. They started to circle me. Snap. I wondered if they would grab hands and start singing Kumbaya.
“Who is she…?” “I’ve never seen her before…” “Have you ever seen one so large” “Not beside the Alpha” “Is this her first change?” “She’s changing so quick…”
I growled the answer to that question. Change quickly my ass. The only change I had was vision, everything looked far away. The voices were loud and I smelled steak. My stomach growled or was it me? I wasn’t sure, but I wanted that steak.
“Everyone move back so she can stand. Emery, look at me everything is going to be alright. Try to stand up. Use your paws.” William said as he crotched down in front of me.
I looked up at his hands, he had steak. I launched myself at him. I didn’t want to hurt him but I wanted the steak. I grabbed it out of his hands with my teeth and ran. I ran into the woods with my prize. Yes I was free to leave them, eat, and die in piece.

“You aren’t going to die Emery. I’m coming towards you now. Don’t try to kill me.”
“William, what happened? Why is everyone saying I’m a wolf?”
“Emery, look down at your feet. Tell me what you see.”

I looked down and yipped. Paws, I had paws! “William what’s happening?”  I was scared out my mind. I was supposed to die not grow paws. I heard something move and started to growl. The wolf in me was screaming intruder. She wanted me to stand my ground and show teeth. She said we are not weak even though this was our first change.  They were in our territory and she wanted them out. I saw a grey wolf step into my line of vision. She wolf started growling, telling whoever to back off or else.
Emery it’s me, stand down and look at me.” William changed back into his human form. One second he was a grey wolf the next human. I attacked. My wolf didn’t want to be fooled. She ran straight at him only to hit a brick wall. “Emery I said don’t attack. Sit down!”
She wolf shook her head trying to clear it. Hitting William made her dizzy. “Show yourself wolf, or will attack again,” she growled out the warning. She wolf did not like William and I couldn’t blame her.
“Emery, control your wolf, or I will do it for you,” William said to me.
Like hell, I could control her; she was in charge of this ordeal. What was I supposed to do? Try and demand she let go and change me back, ha, yeah right.
“I said show yourself wolf! I know I seen you, are you to scared of an Alpha female?” Whoa, whoa, whoa did she just say Alpha. Now I really had to find a way to change back.
“Is this what you want, you want to challenge me?”  The gray wolf that was William growled at me as he launched himself in the air.
William hit me with the force of a freight train. The wind was knocked out of me. She wolf was upset that she was blindsided, but she was quick on her feet, er paws. She growled and snapped as William attacked her, looking for any advantage that she could have over him.
“There will only be one Alpha in this Clan, White, and you will back down. Don’t make me kill my daughter before I have a chance to meet her. Do you understand?”
I understood what he was saying but She wolf wasn’t trying to hear it. I wish there was a way to change back.
I guess the noise of our fighting was too much, because I could see everyone gathered around us in the woods.
“I will not back down, you so called Alpha.” Oh shit She wolf was about to get my assed kicked. I was surely going to die now.
The fight continued for what felt like hours until William grabbed She wolf by the neck and growled.
“Surrender so I can show my daughter our ways, please don’t make me kill her.”
I could hear the pleading in William’s voice; he really cared about showing me what it was to become a shape changer. I guess that was all I needed to change back. The next thing I knew I was looking at the sharp canines of a gray wolf. I didn’t want to ruin the moment by telling William his breath reeked. So I settled on speaking first.
“Hello William, nice to meet your other half.” I said to the growling wolf. I stood up and gave him an appraising look. “William, what’s going on?”
“That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you Em. Instead of listening to me you decided to take the easy way out and die. But I forgot to tell you don’t really die, you just go through some excruciating pain and turn into an animal. Welcome to the world of Changers!” William said with a lot of enthusiasm. Being sarcastic was not a good look for him.
William was still ranting about this and that, when I realized I was standing in the woods naked. NAKED!!! I jumped so high that I almost grabbed the lowest branch of the tree I was standing under. That caused him to stop and look at me. “What is your problem Em?”
I ran behind the first tree I saw. It might have made sense to step behind the one that I was in front of but, yeah, that would require me to think; and right now all my thoughts were out the window.
“What’s my problem? My problem, Will, is that you are standing there bitching at me and I’m naked as the day I was born. You don’t see anything wrong with that?”
“Is that a rhetorical question? If it isn’t, then no, I don’t see a problem with that. You’re a shapechanger its part of who you are.”
“Well I don’t like it.” Something moved next to me and I turned to see a group of people trying not to laugh at me. Annd guess who the first person I saw, yup you’re right, the sexy ass guy from the B&B.
I groaned when I saw him openly staring at me. This day couldn’t get any worse. Apparently it could because I head someone dying of hysterical laughter.
“Look at her, (haha), she can’t even conjure her own clothes and she’s suppose be the Alpha’s daughter.”
I started to walk behind another tree, hoping everyone would leave, when I heard her say, “What a fucking waste of a ‘Alpha’ female, fucking half breed, her mother’s probably not even a witch.”
I stopped mid-step and turned around. “Excuse me, what did you say?”
“You heard me you waste of sperm, I said that your mother was a worthle-‘ She didn’t get a change to finish, I’d shifted back in She wolf and had the bitch by the throat. I growled, I wanted her to say something. Please, I begged in my head, say something so I can rip your throat out. I guess that she saw the need for me to kill her, that she whimpered and tilted her head to the side.  

1 comment:

  1. really 'felt' this chapter..enjoyed the detailed descriptions, and again Em is freakin hilarious. Jessica seems like a fun bestie, where did she go? And the change..bravo, it was intense and well written. Very much looking forward to checking out she wolf and seeing how she takes her place in the clan. Fan-tan-u-lous! more please?

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome. If it sucks please let me know, tell me why, if it doesn't, let me know too :)